Tesla Motors was founded in 2003 by American entrepreneurs Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning and was named after Serbian American inventor Nikola Tesla.
- 0 to 60 Model S is 1.200 s faster than a Porsche Panamera.
- The Model S is not the quietest cabin @ 90mph. (dB)
- The disk brake pads don’t need to be replaced ever.
- Bob Lutz admires Elon Musk.
- The front grille of the Model S has only one cosmetic function – to let consumer relate to classic car designs
- Model S was designed using French CAD from Dassault.
- Tesla bought The famous NUMMI factory from Toyota for 50 Mil. and Toyota invested 50 Mil. in Tesla. NUMMI is so big that currently only 20% of its surface is being occupied.
- The final check on each new car is performed on a wooden tarmac at the express request of Elon.
- All robots at Tesla are painted in TESLA red.
- Toyota invested in TESLA not because of the battery technology but because they wanted access to the supercharger network and to have privileged access to regulation issues.
- The TESLA factory has natural sunlight coming in, which is unheard for highly robotic factories.
- The frame of a Model S is x3 times sturdier than a Porsche.
- The flat undercarriage of the Model S is the big reason for its good Cx.
- Elon Musk studied Battery Technology at University.
- Norway is the number one buyer per capita of TESLAs
- When TESLA was days away from bankruptcy in December 22nd circa 2007, Elon put his “last” dollar from PayPal and saved the company.
- It took 10 years to make a profit, or conversely it withstood 10 years of losses.
- Parallels between Steve Jobs and E. Musk: At some point both were managing companies that were floundering: Apple, Pixar 90s – Solar City, SpaceX, Tesla 07s.
- Both CEOs had to fire people who did not perform. Both made notorious hiring mistakes: Jobs hired Sculley from Pepsi – which eventually cost him his job. On the other hand, Elon hired Henrik Fisker as a car designer – unaware that Fisker himself was planning to start an electric company.
- Tesla is now worth over 10bn USD more valuable than FIAT SpA.
- The core technology of TESLA is the battery pack, the layout of the battery cells is secret.
- “It costs the same to design an ugly car than a nice car” – Elon Musk.
- During the model X launch, Elon Musk said he drives an Audi Q7.
- The Daimler Angel Investment timeline: Months after Daimler bought a 10% stake in electric car-maker Tesla Motors, they turned around and sold 4% to Aabar, an Abu Dhabi wealth fund. Then in April 2012, the same fund sold Tesla shares, amounting to about 7% of the US car maker’s equity, making a $113m profit, but subsequently missing on the 2013 May “big short squeeze” (Aabar, owns a 9.1% stake in Daimler since March 2012) – Elon said – “When someone is hungry themselves and they give you a bit of food, you’ve got to be grateful for that.” – Musk.
- The Toyota investment timeline.The NUMMI factory used to be a 50-50% joint venture between GM and Toyota, Its untold business purpose was “keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”. This explains why Toyota bought $50 million worth of stock when Tesla went public in July 2010 and the e-RAV collaboration.
- The Model X Keynote launch presentation was modeled on the Apple iPhone launch presentation.
- Prototypes. When Toyota designs a new car prototype they first decide the specs and then they build a prototype (This is called built to spec). The Toyota software for the car can take up to 24 months to develop. On the other hand, Tesla builds the prototype first and then finds out the (exact) specs. It takes Tesla about three weeks to write the software for a prototype. That’s hardly mind-blowing to you but it is mind-blowing to the Toyota engineers.
- Musk expects the operating profit (Sales – c.o.s) to approach Porsche’s long time 50%, over time.
- The battery was always switchable.
- Shai Agassi (better place) got the idea from them.
- Tesla replaced Oracle in the NASDAQ100.
- Around 78% of the shares are owned by banks and funds.
- Elon and Page are believed to be close friends.
- Model S uses an induction type AC motor whose main component is pure Copper rather than Chinese-mined rare earth magnets.
- Nicola Tesla is considered to be the father of AC and he advocated AC was better than DC so here you go +1.
- In 2007, a Japanese Car-maker spent time and money optimizing what sound should an EV produce (because they are too silent at low speeds and that creates a hazard to pedestrians). Tesla spent 0 time on that issue. That tells who is focused and who is not.
- Approximate 160 multi-terminal element KUKA robots assemble each car.
- Many engineers from SpaceX work at Tesla.
- Tesla culture is heavily influenced by SpaceX (i.e. SpaceX success saved Tesla)
- Thank you. We’re all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
- The fact that no one understands you doesn’t mean you’re an artist.
- I don’t know what your problem is, but I’ll bet it’s hard to pronounce.
- Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
- I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don’t care.
- I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.
- What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?
- I’m not being rude. You’re just insignificant.
- I’m already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
- I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.
- It’s a thankless job, but I’ve got a lot of Karma to burn off.
- Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
- No, my powers can only be used for good.
- How about never? Is never good for you?
- I’m really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me.
- You sound reasonable…Time to up my medication.
- I’ll try being nicer if you’ll try being smarter.
- I’m out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message…
- I don’t work here. I’m a consultant.
- Who me? I just wander from room to room.
- My toys! My toys! I can’t do this job without my toys!
- It might look like I’m doing nothing, but at the cellular level I’m really quite busy.
- At least I have a positive attitude about my destructive habits.
- You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.
- I see you’ve set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.
- Someday, we’ll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
Marriage is very much like a violin; after the sweet music is over, the strings are attached.
Marriage is love. Love is blind. Therefore, marriage is an institution for the blind.
Marriage is an institution in which a man loses his Bachelor’s Degree and the woman gets her Masters.
Marriage is a thing which puts a ring on a woman’s finger and two under the man’s eyes.
Marriage certificate is just another word for a work permit.
Marriage is not just a having a wife, but also worries inherited forever.
Marriage requires a man to prepare 4 types of “rings”:
* The Engagement Ring
* The Wedding Ring
* The Suffe-Ring
* The Endu-Ring